- while something else is happening當…時;随着
- He sat watching her as she got ready.他一直坐着看她準備停當。
- As she grew older she gained in confidence.随着年齡的增長她的信心增強了。
Language Bank processprocessDescribing a process描述過程- This diagram illustrates the process of paper-making./This diagram shows how paper is made.這個圖說明了造紙的過程。
- First/First of all, logs are delivered to a paper mill, where the bark is removed and the wood is cut into small chips.首先,原木被運送到造紙廠,在那裏去掉樹皮,然後被切成木片。
- Next/Second, the wood chips are pulped, either using chemicals or in a pulping machine.接下來,用化學品或磨漿機把木片化成漿。
- Pulping breaks down the internal structure of the wood and enables/allows the natural oils to be removed.制漿過程使木材的内部結構分解,從而去除木材裏的天然油。
- Once/After the wood has been pulped, the pulp is bleached in order to remove impurities. /…is bleached so that impurities can be removed.木材制成漿後,將其漂白以去除雜質。
- The next stage is to feed the pulp into the paper machine, where it is mixed with water and then poured onto a wire conveyor belt.下一步便是將紙漿送入制紙機,與水混合後再倒入金屬傳送帶。
- As the pulp travels along the conveyor belt, the water drains away. This causes the solid material to sink to the bottom, forming a layer of paper.當紙漿沿傳送帶傳送時,水分蒸發,使得固體物質沉到底部,形成一層紙。
- At this point the new paper is still wet, so it is passed between large heated rollers, which press out the remaining water and simultaneously dry the paper/…dry the paper at the same time.這時,新出的紙仍然是濕的,故讓其經過幾個巨大的熱滾筒,擠壓脫水並同時烘幹。
- The final stage is to wind the paper onto large rolls./Finally, the paper is wound onto large rolls.最後一步是將紙卷在巨大的卷軸上。
- in the way in which照…方式
- They did as I had asked.他們是按照我的要求做的。
- Leave the papers as they are.别去動那些文件。
- She lost it, just as I said she would.我就說了吧,她把它弄丢了。
Which Word? as / likeas / likeYou can use both as and like to say that things are similar.- Like is a preposition and is used before nouns and pronouns:
- He has blue eyes like me.他和我一樣有雙藍眼睛。
- As is a conjunction and an adverb and is used before a clause, another adverb or a clause beginning with a preposition:as 爲連詞和副詞,置於從句、另一副詞或以介詞引導的從句前:
- She enjoys all kinds of music, as I do.她和我一樣什麽音樂都喜歡。
- Repeat these five steps, as in the last exercise.照前面的練習一樣,重複這五個步驟。
- In informal English like is frequently used as a conjunction or an adverb instead of as:在非正式英語中,like 常常代替 as,用作連詞或副詞:
- Nobody understands him like I do.誰都不像我那麽了解他。
- I don’t want to upset him again like before.我不願意再像過去那樣使他掃興。
It is also used instead of as if:like 亦可用以代替 as if:- It looks like we’re going to be late.看來我們要遲到了。
These uses of like are common but are not considered correct in formal written English.
You will find more help on the use of as and like in the entries for particular verbs, such as act, behave, etc. - used to state the reason for something因爲;由於
- As you were out, I left a message.你不在,所以我留了一張字條兒。
- She may need some help as she's new.她是新來的,可能需要一些幫助。
- used to make a comment or to add information about what you have just said正如;如同
- As you know, Julia is leaving soon.你是知道的,朱莉娅馬上要離開了。
- She's very tall, as is her mother.她個子很高,和她母親一樣。
- used to say that although something is true, what follows is also true盡管;雖然;即使 synonym though
- Happy as they were, there was something missing.盡管他們很快樂,但總缺少點什麽。
- Try as he might (= however hard he tried), he couldn't open the door.他想盡了辦法也沒能打開門。
Word OriginMiddle English: reduced form of Old English alswā ‘similarly’ (see also).
Idioms - in contrast with something與…相對照;和…相比較
- They got 27 per cent of the vote as against 32 per cent at the last election.他們獲得了27%的選票,而上次選舉時爲32%。
- used to say that something may happen at some time in the future, but only when something else has happened(用於在特定條件下才會發生的事情)將來…時,到時候
- We'll decide on the team as and when we qualify.將來我們具備了條件時就會決定成立這個隊。
- I'll tell you more as and when (= as soon as I can).我一有可能就會告訴你更多情況。
as for somebody/something
- used to start talking about somebody/something至於;關於 synonym regarding
- As for Jo, she's doing fine.至於喬,她現在日子過得不錯。
- As for food for the party, that's all being taken care of.關於聚會要用的食物,都在置辦當中。
- used to show the time or date from which something starts(指起始時間或日期)自…起
- Our phone number is changing as from May 12.我們的電話號碼自 5 月 12 日起更改。
- Lee and I are now officially engaged, as of yesterday.從昨天開始,我和李正式訂婚了。
- in a way that suggests something似乎;好像;仿佛
- He behaved as if nothing had happened.他表現得若無其事。
- It sounds as though you had a good time.聽起來你好像過得挺愉快。
- It's my birthday. As if you didn't know!今天是我的生日。你好像不知道似的!
- ‘Don't say anything.’ ‘As if I would!’ (= surely you do not expect me to)“什麽也别說。” “我才不會說呢!”
- considering the present situation; as things are照現狀
- We were hoping to finish it by next week—as it is, it may be the week after.我們本希望在下周完成,看樣子可能要下下周才行。
- I can't help—I've got too much to do as it is (= already).我幫不了忙,我已經有太多的工作了。
- used when a speaker is giving his or her own impression of a situation or expressing something in a particular way可以說;在一定程度上
- Teachers must put the brakes on, as it were, when they notice students looking puzzled.當老師發現學生神色茫然時,就應該在一定程度上放慢速度。
as to something | as regards something
- used when you are referring to something關於;至於
- As to tax, that will be deducted from your salary.至於稅款,將從你薪水中扣除。
- I have a few ideas as to how we might do this.我有一些關於我們如何做這件事的想法。
- There is a serious issue as to whether or not we give tutors enough guidance.我們是否給導師足夠的指導是一個嚴重的問題。
- until now or until a particular time in the past直到現在;直至過去某時
- an as yet unpublished report一篇尚未發表的報告
- As yet little was known of the causes of the disease.當時人們對這種疾病的起因幾乎一無所知。
- (British English, informal) used as a comment on something that you have just said(對剛說過的話的評論)
- He smiled and I smiled back. As you do.他微笑,我也報以微笑。正所謂禮尚往來。
- (ironic) A little boy finds a gigantic robot in his backyard—as you do—and has to keep it secret.一個小男孩在他的後院發現了一個巨大的機器人——就像你一樣——並且必須保密。
(you, etc.) may/might as well be hanged/hung for a sheep as (for) a lamb
- (saying) if you are going to be punished for doing something wrong, whether it is a big or small thing, you may as well do the big thing與其偷羊羔被絞死,不如偷只羊;一不做,二不休